For further information on any of the below courses, please email [email protected]
RYA Dinghy Instructor
For the pre-entry, candidates should be able to complete tasks such as those listed below, sailing at all times with an awareness of the ‘five essentials’, and confirming they can sail in a controlled and confident manner, showing consideration for preparation, communication, approach and execution, at all times.
During the assessment the candidate will be asked to complete the following:
- Sail around a triangular course of 100m (minimum) legs to the best of their ability using all the boat’s normal equipment, including spinnaker if carried.
- Sail a tight circular course around a stationary boat, making only one tack and one gybe.
- Sail a ‘follow my leader’ course behind another boat. The course may include all points of sailing and may be behind another sailing dinghy or behind a powered boat.
- Pick up a man overboard dummy; the boat to be stopped and more than one attempt should not be needed.
The candidate may also be asked to complete some of the following:
- Sail without a rudder, or with the tiller on a loose elastic, around a triangular course. You will be expected to make good progress around the course in a seamanlike manner (not applicable to keelboat or multihull instructor candidates).
- Lee shore landing and departure
- Anchor or pick up a mooring – wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Come alongside a moored boat – wind against tide (if appropriate)
- Recover a capsized dinghy and sail away (not keelboats)
RYA Dinghy Instructor Course
Minimum age: 16
Course requirements: First Aid certificate, RYA Powerboat Level 2, RYA Safe and Fun certificate and pre-course work.
Candidates are expected to be an experienced sailor in strong winds and to have completed the Pre-entry assessment within one year prior to the Instructor course.
This course is taught over five days, and includes training in teaching techniques afloat and offshore. It will be run by an RYA Coach/Asssessor and moderated on the final day by another RYA Coach/Assessor.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate competence in course preparation, delivery and management, as well as customer liaison.
RYA Wingsurfing Instructor Course
Minimum age: 16
Course requirements: First Aid certificate, RYA Powerboat Level 2, RYA Safe and Fun certificate.
The course is taught over two days, and candidates are expected to be a competant wingsurfer.